Tuesday 4 October 2011

Morning Monologue

This is the nearest I'll ever get to Morning Pages - perhaps the least spoken or written about 'how to become a writer training exercises as described in the beloved BRB. It was actually a spoken monologue during my morning commute. Fortunately I drive alone, I doubt any passenger would have found the material as engaging and interesting as I do. I felt like getting it off my chest, and actually woke up in a cold sweat this morning with my lips trembling, so keen was I to articulate it somewhere, somehow. Cue the blog...

It's the striving for originality that will make most of the difference to your writing when you have completed this course. But there is no magic vial that's going to insert itself into your hide during the course that will give you a lottery winning idea for a best selling book with multi million pound filming rights and the associated merchandise that will become curiosity antiques in a hundred years time. A Hogwarts, a Wardrobe, or Looking Glass World were all ideas. There isn't a course that can teach this.

Those who are capable of coming up with a winning idea - will do so anyway. Nothing to do with creative writing. Ideas are a different skill altogether. They can happen to anyone. This course is about learning, reigniting and inspiring you to write with greater originality - the way you craft your sentences based on your experiences and the way the course writers want you to think about how you might explain or describe something with more originality than you would normally have done. This is done through the use of effect techniques borrowed from poetry and through being able to convey information in different and innovative ways. That's it in a nutshell. Ideas come as bonuses. Ideas might come from some of the practice rituals in the course, but they might not.


3 comments:

  1. Very good sentiment there Mike! I do like your idea and agree with the point that the course doesn't teach us to write the next Harry potter, but 'merely' helps us to unlock the vocabulary and tools to articulate our thoughts into a more readable condition. Seems to working on me already! This comment appears to have swallowed it's own dictionary and we are still in week one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks both. Nice to know I'm not writing to myself. I used to listen to Radio 4 during my hour + drive to work in the morning. Now I'm talking to myself in the hope that, in the spirit of morning pages I might surprise myself with some ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.