Monday 8 October 2012

Free Write



I think I can say now that I have formally started A363 having introduced myself on the student forum page. Introductions are always a struggle for me for some reason, whether orally or in writing. There always seems to be something po-faced about it. I would like to avoid it completely, but perhaps it's a necessary evil.

I think it's time for another free write about another of those stated prompts as I see this month as a lead into the first TMA rather than anything else (aside from re-finding the writing muse that is)  A free write can only help put a metaphorical fire-cracker up my arse and maybe when I come back down to Earth I just might be where I was at the end of 215.  

So, we've had a look at knots and clean sheets what's next? A cloister. Defined by Chambers as a covered arcade forming part of a monastic or collegiate establishment, a place of religious retirement,  a monastery or nunnery, an enclosed place. to confine within walls.  To confine within walls suggests prison and prison life provides potentially rich sources of imaginative ideas when writing stories.  A prisoner could be contemplating something in his cell.  The enormity of his crimes. Or feelings of penitence. Does he repent for the things he has done now that he has so much time on his hands to think? Or is he in prison due to a miscarriage of justice.  How about thoughts that he is a victim?  

The man sat in the middle of his cell, his feet fettered, his clothing torn. The cell was small, no bigger than the room he called his bedroom in his lodgings.  But this was now his whole world of private pain and desperate delirium 

'How many years did the Judge say? 5? 10?  I cut the heads as best I could.  Not my fault that the blade was blunt. How did I know. They said I was complicit. The Duke? he suffered bad! Had to finish him with me knife. Snap those strands like I was finishing off me latest fish gutting. Stripping a Rabbit. Stringy little bastards.  They say I made the Execution painful  for a pay off. Pah! I was a professional - professional to the last that's me. Never. Bungled? What a word to use for a Craftsman. One who takes pride in his work!  One slice is all I ever needed. Someone else s hand is behind this - switched blades behind my back. blunt one - lacking weight. Told the Judge I hit him square - that line between back and neck hair-taper - takes years to get to get that right. Target. Aim. Sniper-style. Steady hands. Pride in me work. now here I am sat cold and innocent in this cell.'



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.