Wednesday 24 October 2012

Activity 2.10

This is the consequence of Activity 2.10 which I posted on my tutor forum. Apart from the tutor who's paid to look and comment,  it's been met with a stony silence from everyone else. Can't say I blame them, I've yet to comment on anyone else's  work - surely this is that hardest part of this course: peer critiquing . That said it is a  part of the course and you won't pass it without getting involved in one another's work. Activity... 

Two voices one agitated and pissed off the other a model of calm reasonableness. The idea behind this activity is to practice putting together two opposing viewpoints. This is my first go.  Any resemblance that might be detected from within my own life is purely coincidental.  

'The mother in law has threatened to come and visit next Sunday. Christ, she must realise that's the only day Jane and I have to catch up with our busy lives. Sunday is our day, in my mind at least, and I wish I could protect the day from the unwanted interference of others.
I include the whole bloody lot of them. All the kids have left home. About time too. Now it's me time, or rather 'us' time. It sounds insufferably selfish I know, but I'm fed up with sharing Jane with everyone else. They'll all be bringing their problems with them on their week-end visits between now and Christmas and expect us to spend time solving them, talking through their problems with them, spending quality time with them. But what about me I say. Us, Jane and me. When do we get good quality time? I work all week in north Wales and watch telly or read a book in the evenings sometimes ending up climbing the walls with boredom. She's in Aberdeen all week staying in a hotel. The week-ends should be our opportunity to rekindle our friendship and try to reignite the fire in our relationship. How the hell can we do that when we have the cast of Ben Hur (figuratively speaking) waiting in the wings for our attention every bloody week end.
The dog goes mad every time people come into the house, jumping on the furniture, and given his advanced age for a springer spaniel he's now taken to relieving himself on the hall carpet or even in the lounge with the utter excitement of it all. Dirty bloody thing! And as for the mother in law, how long before she gets to that stage? Already I have to help her up the stairs and have to carry her bags to her room like a bloody Sherpa . And she's going deaf which means the TV has to be turned up to an unfeasible volume whilst we sit watching crap like the Antiques Road Show because 'mother never misses it!' Give me strength!
*
It is nice to have an extended family. It's such a cozy affair when everyone rallies around at the week-ends and we get to catch up on each other’s lives. This is what family life is all about. Jane and I understand that we have to take the adult lead and sacrifice some weekends to help support the others who are still finding their way in life, in the case of the children, and the mother in law, who has recently been widowed and doesn't enjoy the best of health really likes to see us and, to be fair, when else can she other than on the odd week-end bless her. 

Apparently she’s ordered hearing aids; I've told her people will think she’s in the secret service if she wanders around ear-wigging people’s conversations in supermarkets which she’s said she’ll do once she has her new ears attached. She’ll probably be furnishing me with story plots before we know it.  Quite a character the MIL. Frank next door will be relieved, he’s no fan of the Antiques Road show, but pretty much hears most of it through the walls when she stays. He says he doesn't mind, his own mothers addicted to Deal or No Deal which he says is far worse as you don’t get to see Fiona Bruce.  Have to agree with him there.  

She never comes empty handed either. Always fully loaded with cakes for us and biscuits for Rufus who adores her so much sometimes he can barely contain himself. He's not long for this world now so we all take it in turns should he have the occasional accident. All part of being a pet owner. All part of the buy in as they say. Jane and I don't see as much of one another during the week due to professional commitments and getting stuck in different and awkward geographical locations, but we compensate for those absences by having at least three holidays a year and dedicate all the time when on holiday to each other.  This is called being a responsible adult and we often laugh about it together knowing that our time will come.  Frankly at the moment I don’t think we’d have it any other way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.