Wednesday 28 September 2011

A walk for my mind

The other thing I'm struggling with, if I'm honest, is the idea of the notebook. I fully understand how vital taking notes is, but I never seem to have the damn thing with me, or a pen, or the pen doesn't work, or the notebook is with me but its now bent/broken/pages falling out, or the pen has snapped leaving my clothes and parts of me covered in ink - you get the picture. So today, I took my customary walk on the beach, just a few meters from where I work and armed not so much with a notebook, but more of a notebook mentality, as discussed and encouraged somewhere in the BRB.

Pretty soon I noticed that in places, the damp sand - the sea, having moved out, looked flat and smooth but with a hint of grain, like wood. Like pine actually, or light oak. I looked at it closer and it looked almost like tanned leather - the 'grain' in the sand caused by the swirl of the retreating sea made it look 'hide' like. I looked further along the line where damp sand met the dry, where stones had been deposited, washed and abandoned and noticed an appearance and texture that reminded me of flattened cake mixture, patted and rolled - each stone either a currant, a sultana, or a raisin. Further along the shore little semi circular holes appeared in the sand, in straight lined sections which at times looked almost like a succession of kitchen cheese graters, all lined up. I would never have made that comparison had I not 'looked' as hard as I did today. And I thought, I don't have a notebook, but I have a little internal recorder in my brain if I remember to switch it on. If. I. Remember. To Switch It On.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mike. You blog is great. It looks to me as if you don't need a notebook and pen, your brain functions well enough with out it. Mind you the more help you have the better, can you record on you mobile? or maybe buy a recorder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can yes. I also have a thing called dragon dictation on my phone that should, in theory, capture the text as I speak. Trouble is that when it's not sure what the word is, it makes one up. But at least there are options I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog Mike! I too don't carry a notebook wherever I go. My arms are always full of carrying me so juggling me and a notebook would be comically foolish!

    I use my mobile to take notes if needed. I use notetoself which is like your dragon dictation (including the terrible word substitution) but also has a type option to jot down the notes. Then when I am at my laptop/pc again I can update my journal on there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Neil. Hats off to you also, you're being much more interactive than me (note to self to try harder!) I'm failing in the 'checking others' blogs' department, yet I am genuinely interested in them. My poor old Twitter account's getting dusty as well and there's another bunch of OU Tweeters on our course out there nailing their thoughts in 140 characters or less!

    I have seriously tried the old fashioned note book several times - I just don't think I'm organised enough to make it work. Half the time it's not with me, when it is, I'm disinclined to write in it in public which rather defeats the notion of contemporaneous note taking. But as always there are options, it's just finding the right one for you.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.