Tuesday 27 September 2011

Freewrite Exercise

Utilizing the first prompt given to me by the course book writers, and playing the game of not taking pause to consider today's prompt is: 'that smell reminds me of'... 'The time I suffered the insufferable and excruciating embarrassment of being scrubbed clean in a cloakroom Belfast sink by the headmistress of our school after I had lazily defecated during a storybook reading whilst sat under the school willow tree in the spring sunshine. I'm sure the experience wasn't a memorable one for her either - though no one asked her to attempt this task in the full view of a passing form of children filing in from the playground on their way to lessons. If she felt bad, is it possible to even guess at how mortifying the whole experience was for me, even if I was only five years old and recently had been of an age where frankly these public viewings of my naked body were of no considerable moment? And the smell! a blend of watery excrement and carbolic soap mixed with the kiddie sweaty gym shoes assembled in rows beneath the clothes pegs. And the omnipresent disinfectant of the cloakroom which had recently been attended to by the cleaner caretaker who had been pressed into service after yet another pupil had urinated on the floor with fear having entered the school via the rear entrance which was located close to this Diabolical Belfast Sink.....'

Done. Though I did have to revisit as there were some awful spelling mistakes and laughable typos. But this was a first hit from the keyboard with no preparation. Somehow I don't think I'll be doing too many of them by hand, handwriting always wrecks my fingers. The problem I have now is whether I should open them up for other students to see. Frightening when you don't have the safety blanket of the constant revise. What crap is this? people will say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.